Kids Shredding Singletrack
Please ensure you read all requirements below before registering.
Spring registration will be opening in early April!
Are your kids hounding you to ride the trails? Are they surpassing your ability to keep up? Are they keen to explore new trails and improve their skills? Kids Shredding Singletrack (KSS) is returning to meet their needs!
The focus of this program is to introduce kids aged 8 to 16 to fun and safe mountain biking. The environment will be non-competitive and kids won’t be pressured to try any skill outside their comfort zone.
Each night will start with a brief discussion and demonstration of a skill or technique, then the group will ride the Hiawatha single track trails and other areas of the city (e.g., pump track), stopping at features where they can practice and develop the featured skill. The focus will be on fun, but there will also be some learning going on!
We welcome parent volunteers who are familiar with the trails. If you are interested in helping out, fill in our volunteer contact form. Depending on your skill level, you might be asked to perform a “sweeper” role, trailing one of the groups and assisting the instructor/leader as needed or leading a group. *Children of parents whom are volunteering will be ensured spots in the program but must still register.
When & Where
Sessions will run Monday evenings starting at 6:30pm from May 8, 2023 and ending June 19, 2023. (No ride on May long weekend) Rides will take place at Hiawatha Highlands, 780 Landslide Rd and we meet in the Kinsmen Park Ball Field area.
Rides will be approximately 90 minutes, depending on conditions (muddy trails make you ride slower, clouds of mosquitos make you ride faster!) and skill level of participants. Participants will be grouped according to skill level.
To participate, your child must:
- Be a 2023 member of the Sault Cycling Club (your membership or order number will be required to complete your registration),
- Pay the $50 registration fee,
- Have access to a mountain bike in reasonable repair (a bike check form will need to be completed and signed by the parent or a bicycle mechanic),
- Wear a helmet, and
- Be fit and motivated to ride between 6 and 10 km’s of singletrack trail in an outing.
Registration will be on a first come, first served basis and limited by the number of leaders. Initially we will have 40 spots, but additional volunteers may create additional spots.
We will be strictly adhering to any current public health guidance with respect to COVID-19.
Notes about COVID protocols:
- All riders must be pre-registered (via the Sault Cycling Club website).
- While on the trail, riders will practice physical distancing.
- Riders are welcome to wear a face mask or carry one with them for circumstances where physical distancing is not possible.